The following statements summarize the strategy that the Program follows to provide our students with a solid and flexible education.
We acknowledge and emphasize the impact and the significant contribution which forensic science makes in our society. We believe that our actions express our passion and commitment to our vision to be the foremost forensic program, and our responsibility in creating the next generation of forensic science leaders.
Our program provides education and services to increase the number of qualified forensic scientists and to produce highly educated professionals. We firmly believe that this can only be achieved by bridging the gap between the realities of forensic science practice and academia.
We urge our students to accept that a strong knowledge of science combined with the comprehension of the nature of physical evidence plays a crucial role in developing problem solving and critical thinking skills. Our approach is not only intended to focus on the mere application of technologies, but also to emphasize understanding of the general principles and foundations of science.
We are committed to offer academically solid teaching, yet we proffer an outstanding environment that allows our students to excel. Additionally, we believe that that students at all levels benefit from a regular interaction with the broader forensic science community.
- To develop and enhance educational programs in Forensic and Investigative Science.
- The Program aims to provide a solid foundation in the basic sciences which will allow graduates to follow a number of career paths including professional and graduate school.
- To provide our students with diverse opportunities to develop their knowledge and skills through internships.
- To develop research programs relevant to the forensic science community
- To promote partnerships with academic and operational forensic science organizations both nationally and internationally.
- To enhance the forensic community through continuing education and professional development.
To accomplish these goals, the Forensic & Investigative Science Program at West Virginia University has identified strategic objectives to meet these goals and promote the vision of the program.
- To create an organizational structure to manage and facilitate the breadth of forensic components and activities.
- To attract proficient and experienced forensic faculty to support the instructional, research, and training activities of the program.
- To create superior program facilities that will accommodate the multiple functions and activities of the program.
- To collaborate with other institutions and agencies to support the goals and objectives of the forensic program initiatives.
- To develop cutting edge curricula to support academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate level and training activities within the purview of our program objectives.
- To enhance the development of funding and resource initiatives to support institutional and research activities.
Programmatic Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation from the Forensic and Investigative Science Program, students will be able to:
- Take data generated during a forensic investigation and prepare for trial. Students should be able to testify to the interpretation of the evidence.
- Demonstrate competency in the collection, processing, analyses, and evaluation of evidence.
- Present a portfolio including their resume, certification forms, internship experiences, and any other learning experiences they have achieved.
- Demonstrate their application of skills and knowledge in a professional environment that they have acquired through their internship experience.